At least they didn’t blame lawsuits or government regulation.
BrooklynDodger notes this plant was small enough to escape the WARN act notice of layoff or closing.
The severance package reminds the Dodger of the story of the George Bush (either one) at the pearly gates.
St. Peter says, what have you done for the poor?
GW: Well, I met a senior on the street who was begging because I wouldn't let him buy cheaper prescription drugs from Canada. I gave him $5.
Peter: anything else?
GW: Well, I met the kid on the street begging for car fare to go across town, because she was left behind when No Child Left Behind closed her neighborhood school. I gave her $5.
Peter: Anything else?
GW: I met the worker on the street whose plant had closed up and gone to China. She wanted $20 to fill out the application to get retrained as a telemarketer. I gave her $5, and told her to borrow the rest.
Peter: Is that it?
GW: Yes, now when do I get into heaven?
Peter: Here's your $15 back, you can go to hell.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Huntsville Item Wednesday, February 16, 2005 (Texas)
Chemical plant closure five workers jobless
By Stewart Smith/Staff Writer
Master Chemical Corporation, an Ohio-based company that produces wetting-agent metalworking fluids, has shut the doors of its Huntsville plant after 24 years of operation in town.According to former plant manager Patrick Allmon, …"Production was not as high as it could have been, plus they had started losing jobs to companies overseas…. "It really took me by surprise. There wasn't even any talk of it. They just came in and did it."… Two of the employees who worked there, Allmon and plant supervisor Raymond Vogt, were there for more than 20 years…
…Sandra Stapleton, a former administrative assistant at the plant. "When I found out, I just thought, where do I go from here? It's always a blow when you have a job one day and then come in the next day you don't."Stapleton is 62 years old and had come out of retirement to work for Master Chemical again in order to supplement her Social Security income.
Despite leaving its employees with no options for further employment, Master Chemical gave the five members of the Huntsville plant a bit of a severance package. Each were given a week's worth of pay for every year they were with the company…


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home