Using the Freeway for Its Intended Purpose?
BrooklynDodger posted this first to illustrate the idea that interstate highways were also intended as landing strips for emergencies in time of war. Then, the Dodger checked the internet and found it not to be true. WaPo's post on this said the Air Force was interested in this at the time, but was disappointed.
| ||||
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Plane lands on I-75, snarls traffic
Pilot blames engine trouble; FAA is investigating
Dorothy Bourdet and Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit News
Elizabeth Conley / The Detroit News
ALLEN PARK-- Air and land traffic merged on one of Metro Detroit's busiest thoroughfares on Monday without anyone getting hurt.
But the afternoon emergency landing of a small single-engine airplane stopped freeway traffic for about two hours and caused a six-mile backup.
"I figured if I couldn't find the field I would try to make the freeway," he said. "I looked down and saw cars and trucks below me and I used my air speed to synchronize to a spot where I wouldn't land on someone."


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home